Growing up in my household, baking was always a fond pastime for my mother and I. I can still remember choosing which apron I would wear while helping her bake cookies, especially around the holidays. Today I’m sharing one of my favorite cookie recipes that my mother has been making for years: strawberry thumbprint cookies. As a child, getting to do the thumbprint was one of my favorite parts. I like using homemade strawberry jam but feel free to use whatever jam you like!
CLASSIC THUMBPRINT COOKIES
Prep time:30 MINS
Cook time: 18 MINS
Total Time: 48 MINS
- 1/4 cup butter softened
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1/4 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1 egg divided
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup flour
- pinch of salt
- 1 cup finely chopped pecans
- Homemade strawberry jam (or jam of choice)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cream butter, shortening and brown sugar on medium until fluffy. Add egg yolk & vanilla.
- Combine flour and salt and add in a little at a time until incorporated.
- Beat egg white in a small bowl. Divide dough into 16 pieces and roll into balls. Dip each ball in the egg whites and then into pecans, pressing to adhere.
- Place each ball of dough about 2″ apart and using your thumb, make an indentation in each cookie. Freeze 15-20 minutes.
- Bake 16-18 minutes or until set. Remove from the oven and fill with jam. Cool completely.
Recipe notes: feel free to use other nuts in place of pecans (walnuts, almonds, cashews, etc) and get creative with your jams/ preserves (orange marmalade, raspberry jam, apple jelly, get creative!)